Sunday, August 1, 2010

One of the coauthors of this blog just unfriended another coauthor

I am so thankful that my friend invited me to be a contributor to his blog.

I wanted to use this space to explain that I have unfriended the head of this blog on facebook.

How do you handle such a delicate thing is always such a topic of debate. At certain phases when I was in a mood of being upset at the way my life was going socially, I wanted to do it in a grand proclamation, writing some poetic goodbye on his wall and possibly his girlfriend's wall.

But in short:
Unfriending the author of this blog was nothing personal. I just felt like it gave me negative feelings of self-esteem to continue being friends with the author of this blog, because it didn't reflect reality, and that it would be a boost to my sense of self if I formally cut off my friendship with the person. The person had no use for me and that's fine, so he wouldn't care either way.

Our friendship deteriorated because the author of this blog found a girlfriend and the girlfriend didn't like me and wanted to not be around me, so the author of this blog naturally chose the girlfriend.

It upsets me heavily when people form an opinion of me without getting to know me. For some reason, it only upset me a little in the case of the author's girlfriend. It upset me to such a small degree, I found myself being able to just live with it. Maybe, I was guilty of forming a quick opinion of the girlfriend too, that she wasn't my kind of person either.

It was a blow that it cost me my friend. I never expected this person to become such a close friend. I originally met him as an interview subject from when I worked for the student newspaper and you're not really supposed to be friends with you're interview subjects, so I kept a distance. At some point towards the end of college we both found ourselves hanging out with mutual friends and after college, he lived in the same area as me.

I liked that he was easy-going and open about himself. Likewise, he's probably too easy-going for some mushy sedimental exchange to occur after this post is posted but that's what i liked about him anyways, so it's all good.

The author attended my two most depressing birthday celebrations in history (not depressing because the author attended them) and maybe it's some solace to know that the last celebration I had for myself, there was a better turnout (of approximately 6-8).

No comments: