Sunday, June 8, 2008

Here is what I've learned about how to approach girls at bars

So lately I've come to realize that although my life has consisted of a lot of failure with the opposite sex, I do have some skills that my peers don't have. In fact, I'm quite proud of this, and was quite proud of this last night when I was able to approach girls that my friends weren't. Then again, one of my friends had gone farther with a girl he met at Adams Morgan than I ever have, so that creates a great sense of confusion in me, but then agian, my friend can't even remember how he got that far with the girl because he was so drunk. Still, it created a lopsided experience.

Perhaps, we just all have different skills, and in terms of the other skills I think I might generally know what I'm doing but my history might simply because of a different set of circumstances. But I've recently come to the proud realization that I do have some skills. On a recent trip to Boston, I met with a friend who had the same way of interacting with people including girls in bars that I do, but he was so unapologetic about it, that it made me realize that my way of doing it, was actually a pretty good way all along.

So basically, here's how to meet/approach girls in bars:
-It's best to look like you're not there just to meet them and that you have something better to do. In fact, it's best to have something better to do to begin with. Go to a bar to watch the game, play darts, if it's a bar that serves good food, bring a book/newspaper/magazine or something and eat a meal while reading a magazine.
-One way is to kind of pick up on some commonality in the environment and enter the conversation with that. If they have a shirt that you can make some comment on, if they're reading a book, if you and them are watching the same game on tv, or the same show, you could even overhear their conversation and enter with that. this is usually best for when you look like you're not there to meet them. After a few lines introduce yourself. That way it's just very natural
-You could also pretend to be a lost tourist and just ask them "is there anything good around here to see, is this a good place to eat"
-You could also ask them a really random question, that will throw them off guard, i'll try to think of a good example, anything that might make them curious like "what's your favorite type of ice cream," "what's your ethnicity," if you're reading a book, try asking them something relevant to whatever it is your reading, like "excuse me, how long did it take you to pick out the outfit your wearing?" "why" "well, i'm reading in this magazine that girls take an hour on average to pick out their outfits" (i'm not saying that's a good example but you get the idea),
make this something that isn't a suggestion for a date, like "do you like rock shows"
-You can also hit on them but do so in a very ironic and self-referential way to show how corny you might know you're being
-If you're going to approach them, do so quickly, don't dawdle around near her working the nerve to talk
-It's always better if you have someone else and appear to ahve a fun time together, because that way people know that at least someone likes your company. Also, if you get shot down or something, you don't have to sit around and brood about it, you can just go to your friend and continue the fun you were having before

No comments: