Thursday, May 29, 2008

Netflix is going down

I have been in a serious battle with my netflix queue all year and have been getting my ass kicked pretty severely. I have finally figured out the main reason of my thrashing and have been fighting back and starting to get the upper hand.
My netflix strategy is to hit up rotten tomatoes and check out new rentals with high ratings and add as I go. Well my Freakonomics fanaticism has finally paid off and I am using my knowledge to pump myself up to take my queue down into the single digits. Every week I would find myself adding as many movies as I had watched. The stagnant queue was quite frustrating, but recently my list has been shrinking down. An example from Freakonomics is their connection of a falling crime rate to the legalization of abortion. The idea is obviously controversial, but they point out that the lack of unwanted babies contributed to an unexpected decline after the ruthless 80's. I am making the connection that the reason why I was being battered by netflix was because of the oscars. My thinking goes that the end of year oscar push ended or always end up with a ton of good movies being released on dvd in the first few months of the year and now I am in the January/February theatrical releases, which isnt pretty but its good for me and bad for my queue. I know its not quite Freakonomics but its good to know.

No comments: