Friday, July 4, 2008

A Response to Orrin

I will avoid my typical 'I used to work in a restaurant and this is why you should tip'. My question that I ask is would you really want to go into a sit down restaurant where you didnt have to tip? The easy reply is yes, but here is why you should say no:
1)The waiter/waitress would have to be paid a higher rate, say $10/hour up from their $2.13/hour. As a result the restaurant now has to find a way to make the extra $7.87 per hour. So the only viable way to make up for this shortfall is to raise the price of food. Even worse is that a new inequality will be created in that the smaller parties of people will have to pay more and the larger parties will get a better deal on food, that is if my thinking is correct.
2)Your service will be much worse. I think it is pretty easy to figure out where I am going with this one, but I will explain a little what I mean. If a waiter/waitress is getting paid mostly through tips, they will work harder to impress the customer, whereas if they get paid a flat rate, you better get used to waiting longer for your drink and not expect too many refills.

So I think those are two great reason why you should want to pay the 15% tip...but I am open to other rationale as to why you may not want to tip.

1 comment:

sophomorecritic said...

Yes, but this particular restaurant should downsize. It doesn't need waiters. Just people at the counter which it has anyway.

I'd gladly serve myself or accept worse service.