Sunday, June 15, 2008

Another Weekend Down

The plan for Saturday was to get a beer at Marvin in the U st area and head down to Clarendon to meet up wit a few people that I knew who would be there. Well I found out on the way to Marvin that we would be joined by a few girls there, and that Sarah(girl I am dating) would be in the area meeting up with friends. With those two things, it was unlikely that I would be heading to VA at any point in the night.
It turned out that Marvin(my pick) was pretty amazing all around. The bar had a Belgian theme, and staying true to the theme they only had Belgian beers and mixed drinks. There was an outdoor bar where I spent most of my time, which was extremely well designed. There were some homey mirrors, as well as touches of exposed brick, in addition to the awning for protection from the elements with the white draperies to add to the relaxed milieu.
The music, which was mostly instrumental 60s and 70s soul tracks, was a perfect match for the bar. It was just loud enough to grab your attention, but not so loud as to deter conversation.
I hung out at Marvin with my friend and a few female lawyers that he knew through a childhood friend. It was interesting to hang out with late 20 something lawyers because they only have a touch of seriousness at the moment, and are really more interested in the social side of the city. I talked to one of them more than the rest and she was actually pretty interesting; one of those people watcher types(kind of like myself). We came up with a pretty interesting back story for this guy who was getting rejected by multiple girls...she started by describing him as the archetypal rapist from law and order and I just filled in the blanks from there.
After hanging out there until close to 1, I headed over to another bar with Sarah and tried my best to con her in to admitting that she was more than a jogger. At this bar I got to listen to reminiscing about Michigan from former students and a comparative analysis of which Kentucky Alum had the best NBA career thus far: Antoine Walker or Tayshaun Prince. Have you ever noticed that when people are talking about unfamiliar bars from a different college, you natrually start thinking about similar bars that you are more familiar with. For me, flashes of The Pub, Main Street, and Highlawn(in chronological order) filled my minds eye. Long nights and Longer mornings is all I can think about when I think of those places.
The night was ended with my first visit to Ben's Chili Bowl to meet up with the original crew, which made sure I would not get 8 hours of sleep as I made it back home at 4:30 and had to work at noon.

1 comment:

sophomorecritic said...

pretty interesting allen, lately, i'm finding that your weekend reports, are just plain good reading